Since there wasn’t time to go through the full CATCS Report during the STOC business meeting last week, here are a few items of note.
- The URL http://www.theorymatters.org/ (listed in the presentation) is no longer active. For now, our blog is just https://thmatters.wordpress.com/
- Tim Roughgarden will be taking over as chair of CATCS starting in August.
- Do make use of the cstheory-jobs site to advertise or look for jobs in theoretical computer science.
And many upcoming deadlines:
- June 30, 2015: proposals for 2017 programs at the Simons Institute
- July 21, 2015: NSF CAREER Award (for new/young faculty). See also our repository of past CAREER proposals and other proposal-writing tips.
- Late summer: universities sent calls for nominations for Simons Investigator Awards (long-term support for individuals)
- Late summer: Simons Fellows in Math (sabbatical funding)
- Early fall: Simons Collaborations in Math & Physical Sciences. (large grants for collaborative efforts on fundamental scientific questions of major importance)
- September 10, 2015: Nominations for ACM Fellows.
- September 16, 2015: NSF Medium proposals to Algorithmic Foundations, Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace, and other programs.
- TBD (September?): Guggenheim Fellowships
- September 24, 2015: NSF Large proposals to Algorithmic Foundations, Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace, and other programs.
- September 30, 2015: NSF CISE Research Initiation Initiative (CRII). For new faculty, easier to get than a CAREER award (but both can be submitted at once). See FAQ.
- October 19, 2015: NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- TBD (late Oct): NSF Graduate Research Fellowships
- October 31, 2015: ACM Dissertation Award
- November 1, 2015: AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships
- November 18, 2015: NSF Small proposals to Algorithmic Foundations, Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace, and other programs.
- November 30, 2015: Many ACM Awards (e.g. Turing, Hopper, Kanellakis, Distinguished Service)
- Rolling or Dec 1: CCC Visioning Workshops (eg Theoretical Foundations of Social Computing 6/29-6/30)
- December 7, 2015: NSF CISE-MPS Interdisciplinary Faculty Program in Quantum Information (sabbatical support)
- December 7, 2015: NSF Exploiting Parallelism & Scalability (XPS)
- February 8, 2015: NSF Algorithms in the Field (AitF)
- TBD: Simons Award for Graduate Students in TCS
- March 1, 2016: Nominations for IEEE Fellows.
- March 9, 2016: NSF CISE Expeditions in Computing Preliminary Proposals
- TBD (April?): Symposia at 2017 AAAS Annual Meeting
- TBD (May?): NSF BIGDATA program
- Any time: DIMACS special focus proposal
Since time is tight at the STOC 2015 business meeting, I am attaching the slides for the CATCS presentation that would have been given: CATCS Report STOC 2015
Here are the slides from the STOC 2013 CATCS Report. Probably the most important slide is the list of upcoming deadlines:
I have posted the slides from my presentation at FOCS 2012 at https://thmatters.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/catcs-report-focs-2012.pptx
Some items of note:
– We continually need good people from our community to serve at NSF. This is a great service to the TCS community and can be a rewarding experience. If you are potentially interested, please contact us and we can help you find out more about what would be involved.
– There are a number of upcoming deadlines of note: